Consultancy and Programming
Polyhedron Software is a software house based near Oxford in the UK. We specialize in Fortran, Delphi and VB programming and porting, We are the authors of the plusFORT suite of tools for Fortran programmers, and can use that, and numerous other tools to support our consultancy work. Much of our work is now done via the Internet, for clients all over the world, many of whom we have never met.
We have had a particularly strong association with Oxford University Press, and are the authors (or joint authors) of many of the software titles they have published. These include DTMM (a popular molecular modelling package), Microfit (a sophisticated econometrics package), a specialized bibliographical database written in association with the Royal Historical Society, and a series of specialized medical databases which are used for reference and diagnosis by consultants all over the world. We even had a hand in an OUP compilation of Mrs. Thatcher's speeches!
We have extensive experience in many areas, including:
- Porting Fortran and other programs to Windows (see our articles on the subject - "Fortran and Windows" and "Why Winteracter?").
- Client Server Database programming.
- Web applications.
- Delphi and Visual Basic
- Scientific programming in numerous areas, including oil reservoir simulation (Dr Appleyard was one of the original authors of ECLIPSE, Schlumberger's reservoir simulator, and devised Nested Factorization), molecular modelling, materials science, operations research etc.
- Software Quality Assurance.
- Windows system programming.
No project is too small (we have completed jobs that cost as little as 50 UK pounds!). Current and recently completed projects include (in no particular order):
- Numerous Fortran porting, analysis and restructuring projects.
- Internet client/server software to allow US insurance companies to collect daily sales and other returns from thousands of branch offices.
- A series of medical database programs developed by Polyhedron using Delphi and published by Oxford University Press.
- A web-based group calendar system for UK educational institutions (using PHP and MySQL).
- A Windows (Delphi) version of a large Fortran econometrics package, published by Oxford University Press.
- Conversion to Windows of a suite of programs for formulating animal feed.
- Development of a package for designing interior and exterior lighting schemes for a large Anglo-American manufacturer of industrial and office lighting equipment.
- Routines to allow an unmodified legacy Fortran program to display via a Visual Basic front-end.
- A computer-aided learning package for medical students.
- Conversion of a large Fortran 77 CFD package to multi-threaded Fortran 90.
- A Visual Basic front-end for a magnet design package.
- A Fortran interface for a fingerprint recognition system.
- A molecular modeling package for Windows, originally published by Oxford University Press, but now available from Polyhedron.
- Winteracter and INTERACTER user interfaces for numerous third party engineering programs.
- Porting a specialized CAD package from VMS to Windows.
We believe that the consultancy and software sales sides of our business complement each other, ensuring that we know more than any box-shifter about the products we sell, and that our commissioned work is informed by an in-depth knowledge of the market.
Please email Polyhedron or call +44 (0)1865-300579 if you have a project you would like to discuss.