Consultancy and Programming
Polyhedron Software is a software house based near Oxford in the UK. We specialize in High-Performance Fortran, Mixed-Language and Graphics Application Development, We are the authors of the plusFORT suite of tools for Fortran programmers, and make use of our own software and numerous other tools to support our consultancy work.
We have extensive experience in many areas, including:
Fortran Analysis and Restructuring
As the authors of the plusFORT suite of tools for Fortran programmers, we are in an enviable position to tackle all forms of code analysis and restructuring. This can take various forms including:
- Converting F77 to F90 removing obsolete and dead code and improving legibility with spacing and indentation.
- Adding parallelism to take account of multi-core systems using OpenMP or MPI
- Analyzing code (either statically or dynamically) to identify bottlenecks and hot-spots
Fortran Graphics and GUI Programming
We work very closely with the authors of two graphics toolkits; Winteracter and GINO, and therefore have first-hand knowledge of the features and capabilities of these two packages: Projects include:
- Porting Fortran applications to Windows (see - "Fortran and Windows" and "Why Winteracter?").
- Development of a package for designing interior and exterior lighting schemes for a large Anglo-American manufacturer of industrial and office lighting equipment.
- Design and development of a tool for the analysis of Mössbauer spectra using Intel Fortran, Visual Studio and Winteracter.
- Design and development of a Marketing Strategy Simulation Program using Intel Fortran, Visual Studio and GINO.
Scientific Application Development and High Performance Computing
- Oil reservoir simulation (Dr Appleyard was one of the original authors of ECLIPSE, Schlumberger's reservoir simulator, and devised Nested Factorization).
- GPU/CUDA Computing - Is this the next BIG thing for HPC? - read article
- A series of medical database programs developed by Polyhedron using Delphi and published by Oxford University Press.
- A Visual Basic front-end for a magnet design package.
- A molecular modeling package for Windows, originally published by Oxford University Press, but now available from Polyhedron.
We believe that the consultancy and software sales sides of our business complement each other, ensuring that we know more about the products we sell, and that our commissioned work is informed by an in-depth knowledge of the market.
Please or call +44 (0)1865-300579 if you have a project you would like to discuss.
top of page